31 Ideas to Motivate You to Get Active This August
Being active keeps us alert, energetic and in touch with others.
And there is substantial evidence that people with higher levels of activity have a greater sense of wellbeing and mental health. After all, these are the basic building blocks for good mental health.
Active August is dedicated to keeping active for your mental health and wellbeing in as many ways as you can- physically, socially, mentally, culturally and spiritually.
To inspire and motivate you, here are 31 ways you can get active this August, from the small to the more challenging! You can also download your very own Active August calendar to inspire and motivate you throughout the month.
- Get Active this August! Check out the Act-Belong-Commit Activity Finder for ways you can keep active for your mental health
- At every chance you get, take the stairs instead of using the lift or escalator
- Plan an active outing with mates, such as a bush walk, horse or bike ride or a paddle
- Act green and do some gardening
- Aim to be more mindful. Slow down and take the day moment by moment
- Catch up with a friend for a walk
- Nurture your spiritual side by meditating, praying, doing some yoga or Tai chi - whatever works for you
- Try a new recipe from a different culture – Moroccan, Indian, Vietnamese, French … check out Pinterest for inspiration!
- Reflect on 3 things you are grateful for today
- Reconnect with someone you haven’t seen in a while
- Turn up the music, sing and dance
- Get Active this August by trying something new or doing something you have never done before
- Head to the park to kick the ball with your kids, loved ones or mates
- Enrol in a course, register for a class, or join a club or a group. Here are some places to check out!
- Take regular breaks today, even if it's for 10 minutes. You will feel so much more refreshed!
- Treat yourself (and your housemates if you have some) to a healthy home cooked meal
- Get creative. Paint, draw, take photos or colour-in – here are some colouring templates to get you in the mood!
- Arrange a pot luck lunch at work where everyone brings in a dish representing their culture
- Find 30 today. Walk, run, swim, dance
- Watch something educational. Check out Ted.com for educational talks from around the world
- Make someone breakfast in bed
- Share your knowledge of something with a friend, family member, neighbour, colleague or community member
- Hit up an exercise class with a friend
- Unplug 2 hours before bedtime and get a good night’s sleep
- Treat yo’ self! It could be in the form of a nourishing meal, going to the movies, booking in for a massage, or hitting the shops for some retail therapy
- Reconnect with nature - spend time outdoors soaking up the fresh air
- Make someone a handmade card or write someone a handwritten note
- Spend time with someone over 60 or under the age of 6 to get a different perspective
- Acknowledge people you walk past with a friendly smile or hello
- Offer to take your neighbour’s dog for a walk
- Reflect on how you can keep active for your mental health throughout the rest of the year! Download the Act-Belong-Commit Weekly Planner to help you plan and keep track your activity levels.