Mental Health Resources For Retirees and Older People
Getting older and retiring can be an exciting chapter in life!
With more time to do the things you enjoy, you can explore different hobbies, spend time with family and friends, and set yourself new and meaningful challenges.
In saying that, any life change can be unsettling and bring about uncertainty which may impact your mental wellbeing. Follow these simple steps to look after your mental health:
Being active keeps you alert,
• do some gardening
• call a friend and chat to them on the phone
• read books or listen to music
• have a chat down at the shops
• play cards or do a puzzle
• go for a bush walk or ride a bike around your local park
Connecting with others helps you to feel a sense of belonging in the community:
• spend more time with family and friends
• join an acting or singing group
• explore your local community garden
• get to know your
• play chess, bingo or mahjong with your friends
• sign up to a local sport or recreation club
Committing to something that is meaningful to you provides a sense of meaning and purpose in life which increases life satisfaction and resilience.
• learn a new instrument, language or skill
• volunteer for a cause that has always interested you
• adopt or foster an animal
• work on a home improvement project
• make a financial plan for retirement
• get involved in a community service group such as Rotary or Probus
Here's some free resources to help you Act-Belong-Commit:
- Explore our Guide to Keeping Mentally Healthy
- Download our Mindful C
- Download our Weekly Planner
- Explore our Activity Finder to find something to do near you
- Read our Act-Belong-Commit Retirees Brochure
- Seniors Recreation Council of WA: (08) 9492 9773
- Council on the Ageing WA (COTA WA): (08) 9472 0104
- WA Seniors Card
- Men's Sheds of WA
- Your Life Choices
- Department of Sport and Recreation: (08) 9492 9700
- Volunteering WA: (08) 9400 4333
There are a number of resources and organisations you can refer to for further information and support.
Click here to learn more.